[mythtv-users] Re: Re: commercial skip/flagging - how well does it work for you?

Duncan Sargeant dunc-mythtv at rcpt.to
Tue Aug 12 15:17:32 EDT 2003

John Morris wrote on Mon August 11, at 22:10 -0500:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Duncan Sargeant wrote:
>
> > manually (if Q doesn't take me back to where I was).  I wonder whether
> > it would be sensible to have an upper limit for skip - say about 300
> > seconds (commercials don't usually last longer than that).
>
> Uh huh.  What planet are you watching TV on?  I might wanna join you.  :)
> Here on mine, late nite TV often goes over five minute commercial breaks
> in the back half of a movie.  Better up that to seven or eight minutes.

Heh.  I was dreaming of a config option, but it wouldn't kill me to
press the skip button twice.

> Good idea but as you already noted it would require looking for a
> different logo on each channel and they are prone to twiddling the logo on
> some channels.  For US broadcasters there is a better way.  That darned
> annoying ratings logo they paste up a few seconds after coming out of a
> break is nice high contrast black type in a square white field, at a
> perfectly regular government specified size and location.

That's cute!  I just looked it up, and unfortunately (for us) the
Australia equivalent isn't regulated as strictly :-(

http://www.aba.gov.au/tv/content/codes/commercial/facts_code2.htm#Display%20of%20Classification%20Symbols

> Gotta be a way to use that against em.  Only problem I see is they
> only display it coming out of breaks so it only helps half of the
> detection problem.

I wouldn't mind!

,dunc