[mythtv-users] Crash on playing transcoded recording - headerdamaged

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Mon Aug 11 22:24:00 EDT 2003

At 01:19 PM 8/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>On Monday 11 August 2003 01:06 pm, Will Dormann wrote:
>> Looking at the console, I see this:
>> Input #0, avi, from '/mnt/store/<filename>':
>>  Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, 640x480, 29.97 fps, 800kb/s
>>  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 160 kb/s
>> header damaged
>> decoding error
>>
>> Is the problem that the video is in AVI format, rather than NUV?   Since
>> it's able to determine the video and audio formats, I wouldn't think that
>> is the case.
>
>Yup.  The decoder really doesn't work for much besides .mpg video.  Should
be
>pretty easy to fix up for other formats, but I haven't seen the need to do
>that yet.

After a little experimentation, I'm not sure that this is the case.   I
tried copying over another AVI that I happened to have around and it did
indeed work.   It was an MSMP4V2 AVI file that I copied over the existing
.NUV file with.   So it seems that the problem is not that it's an AVI
file, rather than NUV.

I've tried saving as DivX 5.05 and also XVID but they both crash in the
same manner.  Is there a problem with MythTV's libavcodec handling of
recent-version DivX and XVID AVI files?    Or is it that because it's
MPEG4, MythTV is making the assumption that it's an NUV-format file?   (and
when I attempted MSMP4V2, it knew it wasn't NUV since it's not an option to
record in that format with MythTV)

Thanks.
-WD