[mythtv-users] Had an idea? Would a more experienced person shareinfo?

Mark Cooper mythtv-users at mcooper.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 22:22:10 EDT 2003

shredder wrote:

> I take onboard both of what you say, and can understand fully. I may be
> newbie (Wished I was in age) and have been a network engineer since
> about 1984, Most of Linux can be followed (I got as far as I did with
> Jarod & Co's docs. However things started to go wrong for me with MySql,
> my fault because I could not understand the syntax of the line to change
> the password! And made a typo and locked myself out.

There's an O'Reilly book on MySQL alone :) There's also good online
support docs at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html
You might want to look at
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Resetting_permissions.html :)

> I think perhaps that a reference system may not be such a bad idea,
> settle on a small machine (Mass appeal) and cards that will be
> supported. That way a newbie would know that his hardware is right (I
> made the mistake of buying a WinTV-350, and have yet to confirm if it
> works) with a large number or people with identical hardware, surely
> most bugs would be ironed out?

The PVR-350 has only just started to be supported by the ivtv drivers
which are under heavy development anyway. The encoding should work but
the decoding functionality is not working as yet. There are already a
number of other people using the 350
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-pvrhwdb.php?find=pvr-350&search=find&sort_mode=lmodified_desc

> I think Myth will take off beyond belief, when I mentioned it in our
> office, two other engineers also decided to have a go. Just think what
> will happen when more media coverage is made?

Absolutely! :)

--

Mark Cooper
http://netmangler.sourceforge.net - Network Management with Attitude