[mythtv-users] Soon to be New Myth user

Mark Edwards irish at irishmark.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 18:48:40 EDT 2003

> >My hardware plan is as follows.
> >
> >MSI kt133 Turbo2 MB (VIA Chipset)
> >AMD Duron 750
> >
> >I can upgrade just about any of this hardware as needed. I realize a
better
> >video card will probably be needed, and I am not against the purchase of
> >hardware encoder.
>
> That motherboard isn't going to cut it.  The KT133 just can't handle the
> PCI throughput that a PVR would require.   And with a Duron 750, you'll
> need a hardware encoder, such as a PVR-250.   I have yet to hear from
> somebody who has gotten the combination to work without hanging the
machine.

This isn't true, the kt133 will be fine (yes, I am using one), tho using a
combination of kt133 with a SBlive is likely to cause the notorious Creative
bug.
And it is true that your Duron won't cope, best bet is to get a hw card,
i.e. a PVR250.
In which case the Duron should suffice (just about), be aware however that
the method for getting an ATI card working for TV-out and Xvideo is not
reccomended for newbies, it involves recompiling X with abandoned GATOS
drivers etc.
Personally I would go for a gf2, I struggled with an ATI for quite a while,
the replacement GF3 was up in ten minutes.