[mythtv-users] MythTV Freezes due to Configuration?

Dane Kantner webmaster at dddane.com
Wed Aug 6 21:32:53 EDT 2003

> I think this has something to do with my settings. I set LiveTVBuffer and
> MaxFillBuffer both to 98Gb, as I have that much to spare on the /home
> partition (actually 100Gb).

first of all, my personal experience tells me that having a 98gb live tv
buffer is silly and useless....perhaps others will disagree... so thats why
i appended my opinion with "my personal experience" ... (not to mention, its
bulky when it comes time to clear out the buffer)

when this happens, have you checked how much free space this drive actually
has?  just because its 100gb "free" doesn't mean you can really always fit
100gb.  File systems take space to store information about whats on them as
well...  there is an item in the HOWTO about making larger inode sizes....
in linux ext file system (and other unix file systems), inodes are the size
of "chunks" of a file on disk... and of course, the fewer inodes there are,
the less space is wasted tracking these... If the default inode size is ...
say ... 512kb, a file size thats 100mb would have 200 inodes+ chunks
created... each of these would have a little bit of wasted space ... I think
the HOWTO recommends formatting with a 4 MB inode size...  If you have one
file thats 90gb, having 32 kb inodes is really a waste of space in tracking
this.

On the other hand, if you have a bunch of small files, large inodes will
waste space...I'm sure thats not your problem (though, if you're using the
/home share for a lot of other stuff it could explain why you're missing 2
GB)

There is a flag on "df" that will tell you the # of inodes in your file
system.

have you tried ...say... a 50gb buffer?  are the problems still the same, or
do they go away?
-Dane