[mythtv-users] Slow Channel Change

michael foley foleymic612 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:40:59 EDT 2003

First off, let me preface this with the fact that I am new to Linux / Unix,
so pardon my ignorance.  With that said, I would like to thank Jarod C.
Wilson for his excellent install guide at
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250.  The step by
step details helped immensely.  I am running MythTV on a Athalon 1700+, with
512 Mb of DDR ram, a 60 GB hard drive (DMA is turned on), the video card is
the nVidia 440Mx, and of course I am using the PVR 250 capture card.  Also,
I am using the sVideo input to the capture card as I have satellite service.
  Although I haven’t built the IR transmitter yet to actually do the channel
changing (I created a dummy channel.pl script so that Myth thinks it is
changing the channel), every time I change the channel, the screen freezes
and I have to wait about 3 seconds for the OSD to display the new channel
info and the video to resume.  Other than not using the tuner input, the
only other area where I deviated from Jerod’s guide was on the audio setup.
For me, OSS worked so I skipped the steps for ASLA, for the most part the
audio is fine with OSS, occasionally I will get a stutter affect (I like to
think of it as the Max Headrom affect).

Please let me know if there is anything else I can try to reduce this time,
or is it normal, and if so can I suggest that you follow what dish network
does which is to change the new channel’s info while the video is being
buffered.

Thanks,
Mike