[mythtv-users] More crashing when watching live or recorded tv (Increase prebuffer?)

wishbone at h4b.org wishbone at h4b.org
Wed Aug 6 01:13:45 EDT 2003

Is there a way to increase the prebuffer for watching live tv?  By prebuffer I
mean the time it takes before it starts playing the ringbuffer?  I'm still
having difficulties with mythtv stopping while playing recorded or live tv.
Usually what happens is the backend will crash and the front end will just
lockup when that happens.  I get no errors on the backend, but the frontend
reports something about QTIME and Delaying to next trigger.  I even had my
system just reboot once.  I've read that people think it's ivtv's problem, but
so far:

mplayer with a 10meg cache will play all night long without problems directly
from /var/video
mythbackend records shows for me all day long without a problem.

The only problem I seem to be having is with using mythfrontend to watch
anything. I'm not sure if it's helpful but I've included the messages I get
with loading the modules.  If anyone need additional logs/debug to help please
let me know.  I'm so close to getting this to work!  My setup:

Dual intel 1ghz machine on an ABIT VP6 Motherboard
SCSI 10K Harddrive and adaptec scsi controller
1 gig of ram
PVR 250
GEFORCE 4 mx (used for tv out)

Linux video capture interface: v1.00
i2c-core.o: i2c core module
i2c-algo-bit.o: i2c bit algorithm module
i2c-core.o: driver i2c TV tuner driver registered.
i2c-core.o: driver saa7115 registered.
i2c-core.o: driver i2c msp3400 driver registered.
ivtv: Found an iTVC16 based chip
tuner: probing ivtv i2c driver #0 i2c adapter [id=0x10005]
tuner: chip found @ 0xc2
tuner(bttv): type forced to 2 (Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and compatibles))
[insmod]
i2c-core.o: client [Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and ] registered to adapter
[ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 0).
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 (0x10005)
saa7114.c: detecting saa7114 client on address 0x42
saa7115.c: writing init values
status: (1E) 0x50, (1F) 0xc0
i2c-core.o: client [saa7115[0]] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos.
1).
msp34xx: init: chip=MSP3435G-B6, has NICAM support
msp3410: daemon started
i2c-core.o: client [MSP3435G-B6] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver
#0](pos. 2).
i2c-core.o: adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 registered as adapter 0.
ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02030207
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 224
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
bttv: driver version 0.7.104 loaded
bttv: using 4 buffers with 2080k (8320k total) for capture
bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C693A/694x [Apollo PRO133x]
bttv: driver version 0.9.11 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C693A/694x [Apollo PRO133x]

--

*<|:ož
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!