[mythtv-users] so how does Tivo do it?

Max max-mythtv-users at lasevich.net
Tue Aug 5 17:20:29 EDT 2003

To put this matter to rest, let me just point out that my comments were
based on personal experience as an owner of at least 8 tivos over past 3
years, both S1 and S2, both standalone and DirecTV and  it is not based on
weight or looks or guesses - just plain simple experience.

After hacking tivos for over 3 years you pick up on a thing or two.  So
trust me, S2 boxes although faster, are not as good quality as S1. Does not
mean they are junk, but the difference is there.

And by the way on being able to hook up 137GB of drive space (un-hacked tivo
kernel limit) vs 272GB - 272GB wins every time. (even if 137 is sufficient).

As for your trading in your tivo for the TW Digital Cable recording device,
I cannot talk about the TW box, I never seen it, but if it records digital
directly like DTiVo, it will be a "night and day" quality improvement. After
I got my first DTivo, I could not watch the standalone unit anymore unless
it is set to BEST quality, and even then it was not as good. This is also
the reason MythTV box will not replace my DTivo until it can record the
digital stream directly (I am not holding my breath) although PVR250
recording quality @4GB/hr from a digital source is pretty impressive.

One thing I would watch out for in the digital cable box - if it is anything
like when I had digital cable, many local and basic channels were still
analog, thus it will still need to encode them, which mean quality is
probably not going to improve much. Again, I do not know much about what TW
is doing, maybe they are all digital now

-M