[mythtv-users] What's a good frontend box

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 16:26:43 EDT 2003

Myself, I have to admit that the XBox would probably
make a wonderful frontend for MythTV.  However, here's
my reasons for not using my XBox:
1. It has to be modded.  While I'm confident that I
can do it myself, I'd rather not.
2. I personally prefer to have everything in one box -
less cabling to run around (versus backend/frontend
options).
3. Assuming that I don't want to have two XBox
machines, I wouldn't be able to use the front-end
while playing games.  Say I'm playing a game and
quickly remember I want to record a show - well, I'd
have to reboot the XBox.  Granted, I could use the
backend I suppose, if I power up a PC, but that's an
equal pain.

That said though, the advantage of having different
machines for the frontend and backend is that the
backend can do all the work, and the frontend doesn't
need to have to be as powerful/expensive.

My two cents,
Joe