[mythtv-users] Recommended graphics card with tv-out?

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Tue Aug 5 16:02:35 EDT 2003

Joe - I have probably in general the same video card as Mark (mine's Chaintech, but also a GeForce 4MX440SE, with the nVidia TV out chip).  I also have experience trying to get the Matrox G400 to work, and sold that partially because it was just a pain to use and partially because I could not set the overscan properly without distorting the output from the G400 (I got visible diagonal banding across the picture).

You generally want your TV to overscan a bit but it's probably best not to have your card overscan by quite the same amount - that way you'll get the most picture from the TV signal without the distortion that a non-overscanning NTSC TV will give you.

I set my TV to overscan by about 1/2" (I'm about as scientific as you) in the service menu of my 27" set.  By default, any graphics card I try with this level of TV overscan gives me borders of about 2 inches on all sides.  Obviously, that's a lot for any card to compensate for.  If you have a service menu on your TV, you could probably set the TV to overscan *more*, which would allow you to set the graphics card to overscan less and therefore probably wouldn't run into the problem I had with the G400.  You can basically adjust your TV set to your graphics card rather than the other way around - provided you have a service menu that you can access (check Google for your model number).

With the Matrox card I was manually able to adjust the overscan of each side of the picture, though this was a time-consuming and laborious process and when I finally did get things to a point where I was happy with the overscan level, I had the aforementioned banding issue.

With the GeForce 4, it's much, much simpler.  Everything is basically automatic.  Install the driver, which involves typing one command at the bash prompt, then make a few changes to your XF86Config.  That's it, and TV out will be working even before booting into X, so you can disconnect your monitor completely.  Overscan is set with one simple command in XF86Config.  There is a 10 level range to set the overscan, with decimal settings from 0 to 1.0.  It does not give you the level of configurability that the framebuffer device using the G400 does (you can't adjust each side individually) but for most people this won't be an issue, and if you have an accessible TV service menu it definitely won't be (since you can adjust the picture centering that way).

I have my overscan set to 0.7 and I can see my entire desktop that way, with the exception of maybe 3-4 pixels on the sides and bottom.  The top is actually underscanned by a pixel or two but I can easily fix that in my TV service menu.  If I went to the next level of overscan in the card drivers, the entire picture is overscanned but a little too much for my liking.  Probably not more than most TV's are by default, though.

I would definitely recommend a GeForce 4 card over the G400, if you can afford one (they're cheap as graphics cards go, but I understand you're looking for work right now).  One other thing to consider, though, is the different TV chips in GeForce 4 cards.  There are three that I know of, and I'm not sure which is best.  I have the nVidia chip in my card, and it's great.  Another GeForce 4 I have (in my main PC) has a Philips chip, though, and it's a bit wonky on the TV output until you actually get into X.

Jeff