[mythtv-users] Recommended graphics card with tv-out?

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 18:05:06 EDT 2003

At the moment, yes, my time is worth less than when I
was working.  If I could justify the money, I'd just
drive to Fry's and pick up a GeForce 4 card with TV
Out and be done with it all.  Besides, I'm bored at
the moment.  :)

After about two days of working on this, I have made
the following conclusions:
1. Yes, it is possible to use an ATI AIW Radeon card
for TV Out for MythTV.
2. I would not recommend it if getting another video
card or a scan converter is possible (or, unless you
have time to burn)
3. The picture on it is actually superior than what I
have gotten to work on my Matrox G400 DualHead w/TV
Out (thus far).  I've never seen TV Out on an nVidia
card, so I can't compare.
4. It's a pain in the butt, and I haven't gotten it
fully working (though if I don't get the G400 working,
I might go back to it).  Most of the time spent though
is waiting for software to compile, it's not too
complicated.
5. When you customize RedHat's package list and tell
it not to install X or desktop environments, it goes
behind your back and does it anyway (RedHat 9)

Now then, how I got it to work (for those interested),
not detailed instructions:
1. You need the GATOS "devel" branch code.
2. You need to build XFree86 4.2.0 from scratch
3. You need to rebuild Qt 3.x

Doing this, I got MythTV working with TV Out, the
image had excellent colors, by default was stretched
to about 97% of the screen width.  By playing around
with the over/underscanning and positioning within
MythTV, I was able to get a very satisfactory picture
(the GUI itself was fullscreen, and fine).  However,
the font sizes were way too small, and it didn't use
the correct font for the theme (I suspect that this
was an issue with FreeType, or the X server
configuration, I never fully investigated it).

Now then, like I said, if I don't get this G400 I have
kicking around to work, then I might go back to it.
But, don't anybody wait for me to do it, just in case
I never get around to it.  :)

-- Joe

=== message truncated ===