[mythtv-users] Re: [mythtv] has anyone seen this yet?!?!

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Aug 4 16:51:51 EDT 2003

On Monday 04 August 2003 03:39 pm, Jason Schloer wrote:
> Sign me up. I'd love to hear more about this card and its specs. I'd
> also love to hear about the video playback. What kind of machine/ video
> card is needed? Hope this catches you before you leave. If not, please
> write back to us when you get back. This is exactly what I've been
> waiting for.

Figure around a 2Ghz p4/xp for comfortable playback (without deinterlacing, of
course) of 1080i at full resolution -- I was seeing around 75-85% cpu or so
with my 1800+ when I was playing around with some hdtv demo clips last month
when I did the mpeg decoding optimizations..    Found a deficiency in the
nvidia Xv driver, while I was at it, in that X takes _lot_ of cpu to
downscale video from that resolution to 800x600 or 640x480.  Displaying at
1920x1080 was fine, though =)

If someone wanted to hook up the (very preliminary) XvMC support code that's
in libavcodec to mythtv, that'd help out playback time on supported cards.
It'd require a bit of work, though.

Isaac