[mythtv-users] Re: xbox frontend

Dennis Cartier pvr at trigger.net
Mon Aug 4 10:26:47 EDT 2003

Whoa, if you are using the font exploit, you have to very careful. If you
mess up your linux install and have the XBOX unplugged long enough to lose
the time, you will end up in a loop.

> I tried copying linuxboot.cfg, default.xbe, myth_initrd, and myth_vmlinuz
> to /dev/hd51 (c: drive), but that didn't help either.

Nothing from my install needs to go on C:

> I had gentoox running on the e: drive, so I know that I can run unsigned
> binaries on my xbox (I'm using the ernie/bert font exploit to do that).
> Everything was working pretty well, except that I couldn't get the rivafb
> module compiled and running under gentoox, so 'livetv' tended to stutter.

During the process of putting this together, I stumbled on what makes
GentooX stutter and seem 'slow'. They adjust the overscan (I think) when you
go into X and you end up running in a non-native mode and doing alot of
software 'scaling'. While playing with xbv to try to fix the thin black bars
at the edge of the screen I also  ended up with the same behaviour in Debian
0.4.1

> Any ideas on what might be the problem?  Just out of interest, do you
> understand the boot sequence with the font exploit?  I assume that it
> attempts to boot default.xbe, which in turn looks for linuxboot.cfg.  But
> how does it know where to look for default.xbe (which is why I tried
> copying it to the c: directory as well - that was needed when I installed
> gentoox).

Hmmm none I am afraid. I don't use the font exploit as the clock sync issue
sounded too scary. I use the audio exploit with the Phoenix loader. More
work to boot, less chance of wrecking something important. :)

> Thanks for all of the hard work.  Hopefully I'll be able to
> contribute if I
> can get it running...
>
> Don

Thanks,