[mythtv-users] Resubjected: Oversaturated TV-Out

Matt matt at solecize.com
Sun Aug 3 05:34:04 EDT 2003

I looked around on the net a bit, lots of references to bleeding,
blooming, oversaturation.

This page, although vague, seems to describe the problem. (red being the
worst for me)

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/info/colorguide.htm

I think the problem is that the DAC's the manufacturers are using on the
video cards are producing voltages that are too high for NTSC or S-video
specs.
Normally, this could easily be corrected with software.  However, these
poorly supported or reverse-engineered drivers that we are using lack
that polish.

Now, I'm thinking that the easiest way out may be to do it with
hardware.  Those of you who are using S-video out on your card might be
able to stop the problem with a hacked S-video cable using a resistor
attenuation on the chrominance or luminance portion of the cable.
 That's pure speculation though, I have no idea what effect that would
have on the picture.

My G400 has no S-video, so I might try something more ambitious.  I
might try building this soft-limiter shown in figure 4

http://www.linear.com/pdf/an57.pdf

The schematic looks friendly, and the chip is available from digikey.
 It probably won't have the effect that I want it to, but it'll be a
cool experiment anyway.

side note: Figure 12 looks pretty cool too