[mythtv-users] Ausu Pundit / Hauppauge Freestyle and some more questions ...

Saravanan Subbiah saravanan_subbiah at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 2 21:44:00 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 17:23, John Morris wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2003, Saravanan Subbiah wrote:
>
> > 2) How is the audio quality from the Pundit ? I know that the SPDIF is
> > still not supported in linux, so if I have to connect the 5.1 audio out
> > to my speakers, are there any other way of doing it ? Coz the rear panel
> > seems to carry only line-in, line-out and stereo out. Do they also
> > double as Front Speakers, Back Speakers and Central speakers like in the
> > Shuttle SK45G ? If so then I can directly connect them to my speaker ?
> > What will be the performance ?
>
> Why would it matter?  The PVR-250 only captures stereo, so unless you also
> plan to use it as a DVD player it won't make much difference.  Send the
> two channel sound down to your stereo and if the program had Dolby
> Surround Sound encoded in it your amp should be able to dematrix it.

No. It is for DVD. I want to replay my DVD/ VCR/ Receiver / PS with one
Pundit running MythTV ! I don't even want to have a receiver or
amplifier. I just want connect th output directly to speakers and play
good surround sound. Don't know how good the sound will be from pundit.
May be I will have to go in for SB Audigy2 or something. But then I will
be wasting one PCI slot.

> Besides, the optical jack on the Pundit is up front so you probably
> wouldn't want a cable sticking out all of the time anyway.  (And btw, I
> wanna know what mullethead decided to put the optical jacks on the front,
> behind the flip down panel?)

Yeah, it is completely moronic to place optical out in the front.What
did they think? That I will connect it to my head sets or something ?

-Saravan