[mythtv-users] Video card problem (Geforce2 vs. Savage 2000)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Apr 30 17:58:58 UTC 2003

See below.

At 06:33 PM 4/30/2003 +0100, James Fidell wrote:
>I picked up a Geforce 2 MX400 on Ebay last week.  Well, at least, that's
>what it says on the box, the instructions, and that's what the BIOS says
>when it boots.  The PCI scan says it's an S3 Savage 2000 though, based
>on the vendor ID and product ID reported for the card.
>
>Obviously the nvidia drivers completely fail to work, but if I start X
>with the Savage drivers, everything appears to be fine.
>
>This seems fairly weird to me and I'll try to find another card that
>does the expected thing, but in the meantime is it possible to get the
>TV-out working on this card in RedHat 8.0, assuming it really is a
>Savage model?

Yes and no.

Yes: the standard Savage X driver supports TV-out, though you may need the
"s3switch" utility to turn TV-out on.

No: The Savage X driver does not support xv (xVideo) on the Savage 2000.
The developer classes this as an unresolved bug, but it has been unresolved
for a long time now, so don't hold your breath. xShm works (with xine, for
example), but it consumes a lot of CPU cycles so is probably not a good
option for Myth.

For details on both of these, go to http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html