[mythtv-users] What are you using myth for?

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Mon Apr 28 15:45:20 UTC 2003

josephc wrote:

>But I've noticed that some people have pretty exotic setups and I
>would be fasciated to hear more about them. I'm curoious to hear what
>people have done to take their MythTV systems beyond just TiVo like stuff.

One of the main reasons why I started to use 'software TV' is the
decoupling of receivement and watching.

At the current apartment, there is no way to get a new cable from the
root (with the sat dish) to my TV/computer, so I am currently limited to
the programs offered on the analog TV cable in the house, fed by the sat
head station on the roof. My only chance for more or better programs is
to place a computer on the roof, connect a sat card to the sat dish, run
a MythTV backend (or similar) there, feed the video stream to computer
via wireless lan and play it there via the MythTV frontend (or similar).

I don't need TV cables running through the apartment/house, only
ethernet (or wireless lan) and power.

Additionally, this allows me to watch TV on every computer, from the
living room to the notebook in the garden.

Finally, given how nasty the TV cards seem to be from the hardware side
(interferences, bus traffic etc.), I don't want such a card to be in my
desktop computer, I need the desktop to be reliable and any new card is
an additional problem source.

This wireless lan and sat dish is not yet working, but the advantage I
have atm is the same as everyone else - to decouple me from TV program,
I can watch stuff when I am in the mood for it, not when it runs on TV.