[mythtv-users] Cannot open DSP problems

Chris Rickert chris.rickert at mchsi.com
Sat Apr 26 06:13:15 UTC 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 08:18:18AM -0500, Nathan Poznick wrote:
> How do you mean?  I've never had any problems with it.  At least that
> kudzu crap doesn't pop up and claim it's going to do something useless
> because there's no longer a mouse plugged in.

Actually, it's good for a few reasons:

1) Crap, I forgot to plug the mouse back in
2) Crap, the Mouse/PS2 port/etc is fried.
3) Depending on the selection you make, it will reconfigure XFree86
and gpm with the new settings.

If you don't like it, you have a couple options -- either select
'ignore configuration change' or run 'chkconfig kudzu off'

The benefits far outweigh the 5 second annoyance when you forgot to
plug something in (and you should be notified anyway)

>                                             I put in a TV card, add
> the module to /etc/modules so it loads on boot, and it's good to go.
> Same thing with a sound card.  When I wanted to add a homebrew LIRC
> serial IR receiver that I'd built, I installed the lirc packages with
> apt, plugged in the receiver, and loaded lirc_serial.o.

Really? I put in my TV card and kudzu automatically configured it for me.
Not only that, it did it in /etc/modules.conf, without obliterating my own
personal changes there (unlike debian).