[mythtv-users] Dual Card CPU experience

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Fri Apr 25 05:00:30 UTC 2003

On Thursday 24 April 2003 11:41 pm, you wrote:
> I wouldn't recommend anything less then a 2400+. I o/c'ed my 2400+ to
> 2.13Ghz which pushed me just over the edge to record two programs at
> 512x384 mpeg4 @ 3000bit rate, Max: 1 Min: 5 Diff: 3, and MP3 41200Hz
> encoding at 7 quality and watch one recording at the same time.
>
> The only time I notice frame drops is when another recording is just
> starting, but it doesn't happen all the time. I think if I bumped my ram
> up to 512 (from 256) it would help solve this issue.

Thank you for your feedback.  Is your Athlon a 266 or 333 FSB version?
Sounds like your machine is striking distance of what I want.
As for ram, I have 512 in my dual 450.  Where it really helps is when
one of the playback streams gets within about 2 minutes of the capture
stream, then I can see all the disk io reads stop, just like clockwork.  If
its more than 1-2 minutes, then the cache isn't big enough so it has to
re-read the stream from disk.  With my SCSI disks, its not the end of the
world, but my machine needs every advantage it can get; disk speed
is one of its better ones.

Again, thanks for your feedback.
Brian