[mythtv-users] Dishnetwork native .conf for Lirc

jasonmiller at micron.com jasonmiller at micron.com
Fri Apr 25 16:24:10 UTC 2003

<snip>
> experiences with faster Athlons (2400+) or fast P4/Xeons.  Can people
> crunch all this on 1 cpu, or am I kidding myself and should stay dual.
> I've seen where the author claims to *almost* do 2 x 480x480 encodings and
> play a third on a 1800.  And lots of people claim 50% or less usage on
> faster Athlons with 1 card, but from my experience 2 cards imposes a lot
> more timing issues that buffering just can't completely overcome.  Its hard
> to beat that 2nd cpu.
<snip>

I'm using two Hauppage 401s on an Athlon 2100 with a single WD 200GB drive.
It can simultaneously encode two 480x480 RTJPEG at quality 170 streams and
play another nearly flawlessly.  Dunno about cpu usage, though.

The only problems I've noticed are:
1. When the second stream starts encoding after the first stream has been
encoding for a while, it will cause the the first stream to run in slow
motion (missing a bunch of frames) for about 1-2 seconds.  Audio is fine
during this glitch.  Once the second stream gets going, everything runs great
with no glitches.
2. I have a purge script that runs via cron every half hour.  It checks
whether the hard drive is nearing full capacity.  If it is, it automatically
deletes the oldest file.  This can cause the same effect mentioned above for
1-2 seconds.

Mike