[mythtv-users] No Sound (still)

Paul Smith paullocal at pscs.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 00:17:20 UTC 2003

At 18:00 24/04/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>So here's the deal.  I am on RH8 using ALSA - it refuses to store my mixer
>settings but I can deal with that later, I have bigger fish to fry.
>Artsd is no longer set to autostart.
>I can use aplay filename.wav and it works (after I reset my mixer correctly)
>
>I'm following the instructions for troubleshooting sound:
>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-18.html#ss18.11
>but am confused as to whether I'm supposed to mute sound on xawtv.
>
>Also, trying to make sure I have the mixer set correctly I am following the
>last section of http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.1
>'set the Line input for capture by pressing SPACE at the slider and mute it
>by pressing "M"'
>Is Line supposed to be muted or unmuted?
>The Line, CD and Mic are all available for Capture and Mute so I just want
>to make sure I'm capturing and muting the right way - Line is Unmuted and
>Captured, CD and Mic are both Uncaptured and Muted.
>
>With my best guesses plus experimentation I can't hear anything when I aplay
>/dev/dsp
>
>I'm starting to wonder if I should put the capture card and sound card back
>into a Win9x box to sanity check they still work - they did last time I
>checked.

When I first installed ALSA I had to fiddle a lot with alsamixer to get it
to play sound.

I tested it like this:
- put line out of TV card to line in of sound card
- run xawtv
- Line In should be Muted, but set to 'Capture', PCM should NOT be muted
and set high (this was the tricky one to find)

If Line In is NOT muted, then you should get feed through straight from the
line in to the speakers - so if that doesn't work - see below.. (You just
Mute Line In to test the capture mode)

Also, at one point I found that I actually had no sound coming out of my TV
card (found by plugging the speakers directly into the line out on the TV
card when I couldn't get anything at all to work) so I did my testing using
a portable CD player connected to the line in on the sound card... (the TV
card was fixed later using a Birmingham Screwdriver)

Paul				VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support at pscs.co.uk			http://www.pscs.co.uk/