[mythtv-users] Frames per second?

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue Apr 22 18:21:29 UTC 2003

FWIW, it took me considerable time (a few days! :-( ) to get my
SAA7143-based card (Terraterc Cinergy 400 TV) to work as well. E.g.
there is a switch oss=1, which seems to switch sound support on (at
least that's what was needed here), but it defaults to off and is
nowhere documented, I found it in the source code (!). I was unhappy, to
say the least.

Here is what I had to do, maybe you want to add that to any possible
how-to or list, given that the saa7134 cards are a good deal now (better
than bt878a, probably):

   1. Use kernel 2.4.20, enabled sound and V4L support, but no specific
      drivers (IIRC).
   2. Use latest (0.2.7) driver from <http://bytesex.org/saa7134/>
   3. Add the stuff below to modules.conf (or /etc/modutils/tv,
      removing /etc/modutils/bttv and then running update-modules)
   4. Any other things I did during these days but forgot now

However, I still have problems with the sound occasionally. It seems
that the first time watch livetv or something records after boot, I get
no sound at all (lost a few episodes, incl. Enterprise, to that :-( ).
If I go to LiveTV, exit, go to LiveTV again, it usually works.
Sometimes, I get no sound at all and have to reboot. I have no clue why
this could be.

modules.conf:
# i2c
alias char-major-89     i2c-dev
options i2c-core        i2c_debug=1
options i2c-algo-bit    bit_test=1

# saa7134
alias char-major-81     videodev
alias char-major-81-0   saa7134
options saa7134         oss=1
pre-install saa7134 modprobe tvaudio
post-remove saa7134 rmmod tvaudio

# lsmod
tuner                  10848   1  (autoclean)
saa7134                59008   0  (autoclean)
tvaudio                14012   0  (unused)
video-buf              10932   0  (autoclean) [saa7134]
i2c-core               13508   0  (autoclean) [tuner saa7134 tvaudio]
v4l2-common             2880   0  (autoclean) [saa7134]
v4l1-compat            11972   0  (autoclean) [saa7134]
videodev                6176   2  (autoclean) [saa7134]
soundcore               3844   2  (autoclean) [saa7134]