[mythtv-users] thoughts about Chaintech 7NIF2-SUMMIT mobo

Shawn Edwards sedwards at theedwards.org
Mon Apr 21 19:10:59 UTC 2003

I have one of these and I'm using it for my myth frontend at the moment.

Good news: The video is really nice.  The NVIDIA drivers do their job
nicely.  Get the latest NVIDIA X drivers or you'll get bizzare artifacts.

Bad news: The net drivers from NVIDIA are broken or this board is
broken.  Not sure which.  The sound is not fully supported, as it only
allows for 48KHz audio under Linux.  Not a big deal unless you want to
play audio that was encoded at 44.1KHz, like most ogg or MP3's are.
They sound about a minor third too high in pitch.

And, since it's an Athlon board, the cpu is HOT.  If it's running for
more than a half an hour or so doing playback (about 16% CPU load on a
1GHz Athlon), the side of the case by the power supply gets so hot that
I can't touch it bare handed.  I'm surprised I haven't let the magic
smoke out yet.  This is in a uATX case with no significant extra stuff
(ethernet card and sound card, no capture devices or such).  I'm going
to try underclocking the chip if the board will let me, but if that
doesn't work, I'm thinking of putting it into a full ATX case and giving
it to my wife to run windows.  Hopefully the extra space will allow for
some more air flow.  I'm assuming that the windows drivers are better
supported by Chaintech than are the Linux drivers, so that will be this
board's future.

For the cost of this board and a chip you should be able to get an EPIA
M9000 board, which should be sufficient as a frontend and is reported to
have nice (enough) driver support.

Hope this helps.  If anyone has contrary experience to mine, I'd love to
hear about it.

Good luck.

-Shawn