[mythtv-users] Starting Myth automatically w/ twm?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 11 13:39:42 UTC 2003

Hmmm... off the top of my head, there are several ways to do this.

- Are you using a login manager such as gdm, kdm or xdm?  I use gdm, and I
have a session type for MythTV that starts the appropriate WM & apps
(irxevent, mythfrontend).  This is the default session for my 'tv' user.

- I'm not sure of the mechanism at the moment (don't have access to my box
at the moment, or man pages), but I think you can put your commands in
${HOME}/.Xclients or ${HOME}/.Xclients-<hostname>, or may ${HOME}/.xsession.
If you read through the X startup scripts under /etc/X11/... you'll see how
these are called & under what circumstances.

You still need to select an appropriate window manager, as Myth won't work
properly without one.  I personally had some focus issues with twm, and I
currently use FVWM.  Others report good results with Blackbox.  YMMV.  Good
luck.

-Joe C.