[mythtv-users] Mini-ITX Sized P4 Board with TV-Out and SPDIF Out!

usenet at wingert.org usenet at wingert.org
Tue Apr 8 22:59:15 UTC 2003

> What is your point exactly?  This 170mmx170mm motherboard could perform
> both encoding and decoding simultaneously whereas the EPIA can barely make
> it as a front end only.

  My point EXACTLY, is that I want the best of both worlds.  As so does
  Intel and AMD, thats why they are developing low power solutions.

  I haven't tried the 1 GHz Epia, but I will assume that it can do much
  more than a FE.  My 800 is a passable FE, just doesn't do well with DVD
  bitrate.

> Just seems 10x more viable for a home consumer who wants an all-in-one
> solution.  Nobody wants to fiddle around with networking to get something
> like this to work when they can have it all in one.. Hence TiVo's sucess.

  TiVo's success is also based on a hardware codec.  It also consumes very
  little power as well (~30 watts).

> And if you so desire to make it a front end only machine, it will be an
> AWESOME front end.. however, it will burn more than the epia in power, it
> will also do more.

  If you have 5 of these in your household, it *is* a big deal.

  YMMV