[mythtv-users] Re: Processor Recommendation - 2 tuner system

Fri Apr 4 16:13:50 UTC 2003

> As far as windows popping up on the TV, you probably have Xinerama or
> nVidia's Twinview set up.

Yep, that was what I did!

> What you want to do is to set up your XF86Config just like you would in
> Xinerama (not the same as twinview), except you'd put something like
> this in the serverlayout section:

> Screen 1 "TV" rightOf "CRT"   (replace TV/CRT with the names of your
> screens)

I have this left over from the twin view setup (although I'm not sure that setup was ok...)

> What this will do is make two separate screens, 0.0 and 0.1.   In this
> case, 0.1 would be the TV.   You can move the mouse between them, but
> not applications.  Some basic KDE stuff works (dragging icons across)
> but most cross-display stuff won't work (this is good.)

> To view an application on the TV, you have to launch it from the TV or
> export DISPLAY=:0.1 when you launch the program.

This sounds exactly like what I had hoped the twin view did!  Brilliant

Hmm, I'm not clear on how to get the second screen started though?  I'm guessing that I need some extra bits in XF86config to define Screen2? (Plus some modelines perhaps...?)

Just for completeness would you mind sending me your XF86Config (offlist?).  If you think it is worth posting onlist, then by all means trim the keyboard/mouse stuff, it is the other bits which are interesting.

Thanks for the tips, this is a substantial step forward for me!