[mythtv-users] why are the mythtv stream files different from standard codecs?

Roy Leonard royleonard at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 16:36:42 UTC 2003

There are a lot of unresolved problems with the nforce
chipset under Linux. Kernel guru Alan Cox says the
chipset is best for "winputers."

There are some IDE DMA fixes for nforce in the latest
2.4.21-pre4 and higher kernels. I haven't tried them
yet, but want to because they fix some of the issues
that cause kernel OOPses and hopefully will fix some
of the performance problems I'm seeing with MythTV.
Right now, my nforce based system (ASUS A7N266-VM)
crashes frequently while using MythTV.

Others are having good luck with NVIDIA's video
drivers for the GeForce2 MX, but I'm seeing frequent X
windows crashes as well. It may be related to the
nforce.

ALSA supports the audio on the nforce, but not
perfectly. The very latest ALSA fixes some stability
problems with the nforce audio, but there are still
some problems. I get a lot of error messages while
using xine, and the sound skips every second or so.

./jj