[mythtv-users] Shuttle SK41G TV out/Xv problems

James Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue Apr 1 16:47:12 UTC 2003

Well, I just got an Shuttle SK41G (note to previous poster: not SK41G2
- this one is a completely different chipset). First off, noise: it is
not noisy. It is very quiet. It has a variable speed processor fan that
can vary from very quiet to blow-dryer loud. The only reason I know it
varies to blow-dryer is because it does that briefly during the reboot
sequence. I did get the SK41G instead of the SK41G2 because I believe I
read that the G2 has a chipset fan (thus making 3 fans: a Powersupply
fan, a CPU/case fan, and chipset fan) instead of only 2. Also it was
cheaper. :)

Except for a cripping problem I haven't resolved yet (see below) the
setup went fine. Sound (ALSA), network, usb, X, WinTV card all worked.

I hit a minor snag on the way, but after searching the net for a bit
found the answer: Linux 2.4.18-2.4.20 (at least) won't boot at all
unless you turn on the "USB Mouse Support" option in the BIOS or have a
PS/2 mouse plugged in. Don't know why, but it's an easy fix.

Here's the big problem:
I can't get XVideo and the TVout to work. XVideo works on a VGA
monitor. TVout works with X. But, when using TVOut, all XVideo displays
simply show a black screen. It doesn't crash - it appears to be working
quite normally, but simply doesn't display anything. This is evidenced
by both "mplayer -vo xv file" and trying to watch a prerecorded video
in mythfrontend. BUT mythfronted does play the mini-preview of the
previously recorded recordings..does that not use Xv?

Something else that I think might help: if the X server is set to use
ANY bit depth besides 24bpp, TVOut displays a black screen. VGA works
fine at other bit depths

So, my guess right now is that Xv is changing the bit depth for some
reason, causing the TVout circuitry to not display anything since it
only supports 24bpp. Is there any way to force Xv to use 24bpp mode?
Has anyone gotten one of these boxes to work?

Hardware/software info:
Shuttle SK41G
Video Card: shuttle built-in: ProSavageDDR P4M266
XF86 4.3
Debian unstable
Linux 2.4.20 (debian kernel)
MythTV CVS

ALSO, I can't right now even use mythtv *without* Xv, because mythtv
only supports 16-bit and 32-bit non-Xv mode. I should think that adding
support for 24bpp w/32bit pixmaps would be easy since you can still use
the same 32-bit pixmap-filling code, but I tried and just got a messed
up display. :)

Thanks,
James