[Mythtv-translators] Fwd: theme translations

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Fri Nov 9 03:32:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

 > please remind me what's the plan to get themes translated?

They must be added to the list of themes we translate. There are way to
work around this but it soon gets pretty complex and is not encouraged.

Eventually it will be possible to translate on a per-theme basis but for
now, for most people, I believe it would complexify the translators' job
a tad too much....

 > I switched to blue-abstract-wide and all the hints are now in
 > English, and some menu entries too.

That's normal since that's not a theme we currently translate... Only
the strings which are present in themes we translate are translated. If
we were to add all the strings from all the currently available themes
the number of strings we have to translate would possibly double.

 > I see there is only german translations in the .xml files under
 > ~/.mythtv/themes/blue-abstract-wide.

That means that the themer who made that theme is using a deprecated and
no longer supported way of translating themes... Themes are no longer
supposed to be translated that way and I was planning to completely
remove support for this...

 > Somehow most of the menu strings show anyway in Finnish for me, so I
 > assume the strings come somewhere from generic mythtv menues. But
 > some are missing. What's the logic?

If one of the string this theme use has already been translated for one
of the themes we translate (blue-abstract isn't in the list but I was
planning to add it), it is shown translated otherwise it is shown in the
original theme language.

 > What is missing from the Finnish translations that cause this?

Nothing, the strings from that theme were not extracted specifically so
what ends up being translated is only what's translated in the other
themes we translate.

 > Or do I just need to add ~80 strings into *.xml in theme dir?

Please don't, I was/am planning to ask Stuart M if I could remove that
old deprecated way of translating (that's theme related stuff and
normally only Stuart and John work on this)... If you're wondering why
it's deprecated, just think what themes would look like and how
difficult it would be to translate themes if we translated them in the
theme files directly. It only made sense back when the only themes were
made by MythTV developers and in the MythTV repo...

I'll add blue-abstract to master in the next few days. If you are
running master you will be able to translate them as soon as this is
done. We'll see what we can do about backporting it after that... It's
quite possible that the strings master and -fixes use are still
compatible (I have to check, I'm waiting for them to be no longer
compatible to do some things which are going to make them even less
compatible) so simply copying them would work if that's still the case...

 > The strings are mostly the same that do exist anyway in mythtv, and I
 > recall there was string freeze for themes at some point.

Unfortunately themes are not subject to the string freeze, it's
extracting the strings from them to make them translatable which is...
I noticed a little too late that blue-abstract would have made a nice
addition without augmenting significantly the number of translatable
strings otherwise I would have added it.

 > Was there some master plan to get these strings into linguist?

There is a master plan of making themes translatable on a per-theme
basis but there's still quite a few things that need to be done by me
and other devs to make that work correctly.

That's where we are going (unless of course we find a better solution in
the mean time)...

Have a nice day!

Nicolas