[Mythtv-translators] "guide data program"

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Thu Apr 5 10:34:31 UTC 2012

Hi!

On 4/5/2012 3:34 AM, ikke wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Nicolas Riendeau<knight at teksavvy.com>  wrote:
>> On 4/4/2012 3:23 PM, ikke wrote:
>>> "If enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically.",
>>> backendsettings.cpp
>
> It is this exact string I wanted to address. And any of those nearby
> following strings mentioning "guide data program", I believe that for
> an average Joe "guide data program" doesn't say much, even long time
> user like me had to think twice what does it mean.

OK, I misunderstood... I thought you meant the string "guide data
program" and that the further information you referred to was "If
enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically." since "If
enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically." is an help text.

> Of course the strings are out of context in linguist, and one doesn't
> there necessarily see the further explanation text next to the option
> string, it makes it harder to guess what it means. But anyway,
> referring to "guide data program" is perhaps too technical term for a
> user. Rather something like "program guide downloader" would be more
> human.

We could help the translators by putting in translation comments
(something which I intend to do) but you are right a normal user could
have an hard time figuring this one out and we are trying to make those
text understandable.

> This is extremely minor issue, but just wanted to mark it up since I
> got stuck there for a moment.

No problem and thank you! I'll change it when we are out of string freeze...

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicolas