[Mythtv-translators] MythWeb translation problem

Rune Evjen rune.evjen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:56:27 UTC 2010

2010/9/23 Nicolas Riendeau <knight at teksavvy.com>

> Hi!
>
> > I am working on a Norwegian translation of MythWeb from scratch. The aim
> > is to have this ready by the end of the week, and include it with a
> > Norwegian translation update which includes tranlsation updates to
> > mythfrontend plus translation of all the plugins.
>
> Thank you!
>

> > I have translated most of the strings, but I get the following php
> > errors on some of the pages:
> > "
> > Warning at /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/includes/utils.php, line 195:
> > !!NoTrans: htmlentities(): Invalid multibyte sequence in argument!!
>
> Hmm, sound like it doesn't like the encoding of some of your UTF-8
> strings...
>

> > I have checked that the "special" norwegian characters are encoded as
> > UTF-8 in the .lang file, and googled back and forth on the error
> > message.
> > http://insomanic.me.uk/post/191397106/php-htmlspecialchars-htmlentities-
> > invalid indicates that there is a bug in PHP for when this waring
> > message is displayed, and when I set display_errors to true in php.ini
> > the display of the warning goes away.
>
> Do you know which strings are affected in your translation? If you edit
> them slightly to remove some or all special characters do you still get the
> error?
>
> > This is on ubuntu lucid with php 5.
> >
> > Has anyone else run into this problem when translating MythWeb ?
> > This warning is not triggered when language is set to English or Danish
> > (Danish uses זרו as well in the translation).
>
> Does it seem to display Danish properly?
>
> (ie nothing out of the ordinary appears except for the fact that it's in
> another language).
>
> My backend currently has what appears to be an hardware problem which I'm
> hoping to fix tonight (by replacing what I think is the defective piece of
> hardware) and if it fix the problem I could try to help you track down the
> problem if you send me your MythWeb translation file.
>
> Good luck and have a nice day!

Thank you Nicolas,

I checked and double checked the .lang file, replaced all special
characters, and verified the file encoding.

But then I checked the Norwegian_NB.cat file, and there the answer was!
  file -i Norwegian_NB.cat
  Norwegian_NB.cat: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

After I updated the file with the correct encoding (and updating som
regex strings) everything was fine.

But it is a strange thing, since this is the output for the Danish translation:
  file -i Danish.cat
  Danish.cat: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
  file -i Danish.lang
  Danish.lang: text/plain; charset=utf-8

..and the Danish translation works fine.

So possibly/probably/maybe I might have had a spelling error in the
regex portion of the .cat file which I fixed in the
convert-to-utf8-process.

Thank you for the response and the help.

Best regards,

Rune