[Mythtv-translators] Reducing similar or duplicated strings

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 20:22:43 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate help from translators in spotting where we can make
improvements by removing multiple strings which say the same or very similar
things.

This may be subtle and irrelevant changes in case:

"Program guide" vs "Program Guide"

Or due to punctuation:

"Press any key to finish" vs "Press any key to finish!"

Or different working with the exact same meaning:

"Press play to watch the video" vs "To watch the video, press play"

Obviously context is important and just because strings seem similar, it
doesn't mean they can all be removed. Strings coming from themestrings.h may
vary because of a conscious decision by the themer.

Other things to watch for are multiple strings for plurals:

"There is %1 recording"
"There are %2 recordings"

or

"%1 item"
"%1 items"

These should be handled in a special way, so please let me know if you see any
of these.

Fixing these won't make a serious impact on the number of strings that you
need to translate, but it will help.
--
Stuart Morgan