[mythtv-theming] Baseres and metadata art resizing bug?

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sat Sep 28 15:59:15 UTC 2013

I kinda feel this should be on the regular or dev mailing list, but
I'll start here.

Is baseres suppose to be used for anything else besides to determine
the coordinates of everything?

Lets say I've got a theme with a baseres of 7680x4320, but I'm using
it on a TV that has a resolution of 1920x1080. What should I expect to
happen to a tv show or video background image (fanart) that has a
resolution of 1920x1080? I think it's getting resized twice, once to
7680x4320, then once again to 1920x1080. I'm only guessing though
based on how the image looks when this using a 1280x720 theme vs an
7680x4320 theme on the same TV 1920x1080 TV.

Looking at the themecache, the 1280x720 version of our theme has a
particular piece of fanart that is 1.1M and the 7680x4320 version of
our theme has the same piece of fanart at 631K

Is this a bug, or expected behavior? It would seem odd to want to
resize an image twice, losing quality both times. If it's expected
behavior, then there is zero reason for me to continue working on this
7680x4320 version since none of the artwork will be acceptable until
people start making 7680x4320 artwork

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos