[mythtv-theming] Simpler TV usage (with keyboard) GUI

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:58:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Brendon Costa <brendon.j.costa at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am in the process of switching my HTPC from Media Portal to MythTV and I
> want to know if there is a theme or customization I can have for the MythTv
> frontend that makes it behave more similar to the TV menu in Media Portal?
>
> The big issue I have with the Myth user interface (Using 0.24 right now)
> is that to schedule recordings, I have to go into maybe 4 different menus
> to bring up the guide.
>
> But even worse it that to watch live TV, it seems like I can't just use
> the guide to switch to live TV. I can only use that guide to schedule
> recordings.
>
> In media portal, if you pressed enter on an entry that was showing *now*
> it would just start watching it. In Myth I can't seem to do this, I have to
> all things....) bring up a "live tv guide" and then select what I want to
> watch.

You should look over the keybindings and jump points.  There are bindings
in various contexts to do what you want including changing channels from
the program guide and entering the program guide directly while watching
TV.  If you don't like the key that is used, you can change it.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Keybindings#Electronic_Program_Guide

Kevin