[mythtv-theming] Simpler TV usage (with keyboard) GUI

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 26 23:34:36 UTC 2012

Brendon Costa <brendon.j.costa at gmail.com> wrote on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 09:02:30AM +1000:
> The big issue I have with the Myth user interface (Using 0.24 right now) is
> that to schedule recordings, I have to go into maybe 4 different menus to
> bring up the guide.

You can assign a key combo to bring up the program guide or other
"jump points". I can hit Alt+G to bring up the guide from whereever I
am in the menus. Similarly Alt+R takes me to Watch Recordings and
Alt+T takes me to Live TV.

> But even worse it that to watch live TV, it seems like I can't just use the
> guide to switch to live TV. I can only use that guide to schedule
> recordings.
>
> In media portal, if you pressed enter on an entry that was showing *now* it
> would just start watching it. In Myth I can't seem to do this, I have to go
> back out to the top level menu, go to Watch TV then hit the 'S' key (of all
> things....) bring up a "live tv guide" and then select what I want to watch.

Even though many people use MythTV for watching live TV, I think
you'll find that it's geared more towards recorded TV, and therefore
that gets more development focus. When I first started using MythTV I
too looked for a way to start watching a channel live directly from
the program guide, but I didn't figure out how. Eventually I realized
I'd rather record it than watch it live, anyway. To record something
and immediately start watching it, you could hit R to record, then
Alt+R to jump to Watch Recordings, then arrow to it and hit Enter to
start watching.