[mythtv-theming] scrollstyle=free works only with arrange=fixed?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 03:57:25 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote on Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 05:26:10PM
> -0700:
> > On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm using 0.25.3-fixes. I'm trying to create a buttonlist with
> > > arrange=stack and scrollstyle=free. However, when I scroll through the
> > > list, it behaves as if scrollstyle=center. Trying a few combinations,
> > > it looks like setting arrange=fixed is the only way to get free
> > > scrolling. Setting arrange to stack, spread, or fill results in center
> > > scrolling. Do others see this behavior? Is this a bug or is it
> > > intended?
> > >
> > > Using arrange=fixed won't work for me, because I want my buttons to be
> > > different sizes depending on whether they're selected or not. I looked
> > > at some other themes where the buttons are like that, and they all
> > > have center scrolling.
> > >

> > The "center" behavior you are seeing is a side effect of the way the
> > buttons are laid out with arrange != fixed.  I don't know what you are
> > trying to achieve, but playing with <align> might help you out.
>
> Thanks. I don't think <align> applies here, but maybe I'm missing how
> it could be used.
>
> To see what I'm trying to achieve, take the Watch Recordings screen in
> your Steppes theme for example. When an item in the recordings list is
> selected, its size increases so that more information may be
> displayed. That part's working in my theme after I set arrange=stack.
> With arrange=fixed, making the selected button larger is a problem
> because it covers the next button in the list.
>
> I prefer the free scrolling style to the center style, so the second
> part of what I'm trying to achieve is to configure free scrolling in
> the recordings list. Back to the Steppes them, when scrolling through
> the recordings list, you'll notice it exhibits the center scrolling
> style. Adding <scrollstyle>free</scrollstyle> to the recordings
> buttonlist doesn't change anything. It seems to ignore the free
> setting.
>
> You can also see this in the alphabet list in Steppes's Program Finder
> screen. You've set arrange=stack and scrollstyle=free for that
> buttonlist, but when scrolling through the list, it uses the center
> scrolling style.

That was a design choice.  scrollstyle = free does work with arrange !=
fixed, but it does not work the same way it does when arrange = fixed.
With arrange != fixed, if the entire item list will fit, or if you are near
the end of the list, then it is "free", otherwise it is "centered".

At this point, changing the behavior of scrollstyle = free with arrange !=
fixed would break the intended behavior.  However, if you would like to
code up a new scrollstyle ("float"?), I would be happy to review it.

John