[mythtv-theming] MythTV-Themes project and old myththemes repo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 28 03:21:34 UTC 2012

Hello, themers!

Some of you may have noticed the recent removal of all content from the
MythTV/myththemes repository on github (
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-commits/2012-February/087591.html
).  I just wanted to send a short e-mail describing the reasoning for
the change, and what it means to you, the themers.

The 2 (remaining) active themes in MythTV/myththemes repository
(Childish and Mythbuntu) have both been moved to a new github project,
MythTV-Themes ( https://github.com/MythTV-Themes ), along with a couple
of other themes.  The main reason for the change is to allow us to grant
pull/push (read/write) permissions to the theme authors and maintainers,
so they don't need to ask one of the few MythTV developers to pull in
any required changes to their themes--i.e. to cut out the middle man so
we (generally non-theming) developers are no longer in your way.

The project is available for use by any themer who wants to use it.  If
you're interested in moving your existing repository to the
MythTV-Themes project, please let me know and I'll set up a new
repository for you and provide you with the permissions you'll need on
that repository.

If you're happy with your existing setup, there is no need to move your
theme to the MythTV-Themes project (so if you prefer SVN or Bazaar or
Mercurial or Google code or Sourceforge over git/github, or if you have
your own git repository on your own project, or even if you're working
without revision control and just packaging up your own tarballs, feel
free to use whatever works best for you).  The Theme Chooser will work
exactly the same with themes in the MythTV-Themes project or outside
that project--all themes are "equal" and none will be treated as special
by any part of MythTV.  (The idea is that all themes will eventually be
treated as "external" and only the default themes will be installed
automatically.  All others will be installed on request through the
Theme Chooser.)

That said, if you would like to move your theme to MythTV-Themes
project, it only takes a few seconds of my time to set you up, so there
is no reason not to move if you think it may work well for you/your
theme.  (I can also help you move your existing repository while
maintaining existing history, too, so you won't lose anything.)

Thanks,
Mike Dean