[mythtv-theming] A new theme on the way...

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:18:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thought I would share with you all that I am working on a new theme
> that I hope to have done for .23.  I know a lot of you have been happy
> with Graphite so far, but I have a lot of things about it I am unhappy
> with, so I started to work on something new.  A couple of caveats
> before going further.  1) The theme is going to be released under a
> fairly restrictive license that disallows copying or derivative works,
> so I'm not anticipating this ever being distributed with Myth.  2) I'm
> using proprietary fonts that I cannot/will not distribute.  I will
> provide links for where you can purchase the fonts (about $15) but
> will leave it up to the user to procure them.  The theme will not work
> properly without them.  I am paying very careful attention to text
> spacing this time, and switching fonts will break that.

I don't mind being the voice of dissent here. I might be able to
stomach a non-GPL license, but there's no way in hell I'm paying money
for a font when there must be at least half a million free fonts all
over the internet. If the restrictive license doesn't allow
modification (to find a suitable font replacement), then I'll just
have to look forward to public release of 0.22 when the "masses" get
their hands on MythUI. The incredible skinning work done by folks for
projects such as XBMC prove that it's just a mater of time before
people step up and provide something open to the community.