[mythtv-theming] Graphite Theme, font/image alignment issues on a couple screens

Bobby Gill brownitus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 06:06:36 UTC 2009

>  Or, put another way:
>
> A theme designed for a 16:9 aspect ratio will look right when displayed at
> 16:9 aspect.
>
> If you want a theme for a 16:10 aspect ratio, someone will need to design
> such a theme.
>
> 0.22-fixes and above support the use of any base resolution (and,
> therefore, any base aspect ratio) for theme creation.  Previously, MythTV
> only supported 4:3 themes with a base resolution of 800x600 and 16:9 themes
> with a base resolution of 1280x720.  Now, thanks to the wonderful work done
> with the mythui conversion, it's 100% themer's discretion.
>
> Therefore, options include a) use a 16:9 GUI size and do not check "Use GUI
> size for TV playback" and then center (or top/bottom align) the GUI on your
> physical display with offsets (i.e. "letterbox" the GUI on your display) or
> b) create a 16:10 theme or c) get a display/monitor whose aspect matches
> that of the theme you want to use.  :)
>
> Note, also, that if you're running on a 16:10 physical aspect screen, it's
> /critical/ that you tell X that you have a 16:10 aspect ratio (see
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Display_Size ).
>
> Mike

Thanks for the info fellas, thing is I use Twinview on dual monitors, the
left one being a 16:10 LCD and the right one a 4:3 CRT, and I have the
keyboard bindings set up to launch myth appropriately on either (I use -O
XineramaMonitorAspectRatio=1.6 for the 16:10 screen and -O
XineramaMonitorAspectRatio=1.55 for the CRT, and it was 1.4 during 0.21 but
upon upgrading to 0.22 it had been strangely resized a tiny a bit...).

I played around with Graphite quite a bit but after quite some trying, the
editing to the theme required is beyond my scope at this point and not
really worth it as it's not /that/ big a deal. However I did grab Blue
Abstract Wide and this is working out pretty perfectly. I was able to edit
the base.xml font sizes down pretty perfectly so that every screen looks
good on either my 16:10 LCD or old school 4:3 CRT monitor. However, a little
thing I noticed I made a screenshot of if any of you can figure it out:

http://imgur.com/1tPAA.jpg

Why is that second long entry that I've [incredibly artistically ;) ]
highlighted gone into the time text?

Thanks
Bob