[mythtv-theming] Falling back to screens in default-wide

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 21:08:35 UTC 2009

Having spent some time playing with MythUI I am wondering how missing
screens are supposed to work.  As I understand it if a screen is
missing from a theme it falls back to a screen in default-wide or
default.  That makes sense since that screen should be fully
functional.  But what I've been seeing is screens with elements from
both default-wide and Terra.

The linked example shows a MythFileBrowser which is missing from
Terra.  It then uses the default screen but uses the buttons and
textedit widgets from Terra.  That obviously isn't something that
looks good together.  This happens (apparently) because Terra
implements a basebutton and a basetextedit and the default
MythFileBrowser uses that instead of the default version.

It seems this kind of inheritance makes the default screens not very
useful.  Is this intentional?  A bug?  Or am I missing the point
somewhere?  Obviously inheritance in general is a good thing but it
seems not so good in the default screens.

Thanks.

http://home.comcast.net/~mikerice1969/filebrowser.jpg