[mythtv] compile issues - latest macOS SDK (11.3) / Xcode (11.5)

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Fri May 28 12:57:57 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 8:29 AM John Hoyt <john.hoyt at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Any suggestions on how to tell the compiler to explicitly ignore the
>>> VERSION file?
>>>
>>> If you are in the Apple Developer Program, are
>>> you not able to open a Technical Support Incident
>>> to request support on the API frameworks?
>>>
>>> That may take a bit of time to get resolution,
>>> but fixing the framework to "do the right thing"
>>> would seem to be the longer term better
>>> solution (for you, and others).
>>

>> I am a member of the Apple Developer program and I just generated an
>> issue with Apple.
>>
>> I expect this will take a while to resolve :) - I'm still looking for a
>> workaround, but renaming VERSION locally seems to be working so I can post
>> some updated mac builds again.
>>

> Here's the response to my issue report to Apple:
>
> "Thanks for reporting the issue. Unfortunately the problem is caused by
> the fact that you’re passing in `-I../..` header search path option. The
> cstddef header in the SDK has the following include `#include <version>`,
> and the header search path you pass into the compiler invocation appears to
> contain a `version` header there. Please either rename `version` header in
> your project or stop passing in `-I../..` to your compilation to resolve
> the issue. Fwiw the `version` header is part of the C++ standard
> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/header/version, and thus the compiler
> reserves it for its own use and thus you shouldn’t use that name in your
> project."
>

> I suspect this is in the "won't fix" bin for Apple - but I pointed them to
> 3 other projects that have similar issues, so maybe Apple will take a
> deeper look.

I just received some additional info from the macports dev's that this is a
C++17 issue caused by the latest Xcode release finally shipping with a
clang version including the header.  They've seen it before and doubt that
Apple will do anything to fix it as well.

As Gary correctly surmised, this is now a C++17 and case insensitive
filesystem issue unlikely to be corrected by Apple.  Any suggestions on how
to fix it properly in mythtv's codebase?

It seems to me that renaming VERSION to something new may be the simplest
solution.