[mythtv] Option "Use FFmpeg's original MPEG-TS demuxer"

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 22:56:23 UTC 2021

On 31/03/2021 21:44, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to consult the collective memory about the option "Use FFmpeg's
> original MPEG-TS demuxer".
> Me and PaulH have been looking into playback issues with recordings from
> the Finnish channel YLE. The playback issues disappear when this option
> is selected. See mailing list
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?p=21615#p21615
> <https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?p=21615#p21615> for details.
>
> However, this option is only available when a debug build is made and
> the option is accompanied by a threatening help text:
> "Experimental: Enable this setting to use FFmpeg's native demuxer.
> Things will be broken."
>
> Does anybody know where this all comes from?
> Is there really a reason to hide this option?
> I'd like to make the option always available as it appears solve the YLE
> problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Klaas.

I can't comment on this proposal, and I haven't examined the current
clip; but when this YLE problem came up last year it looked as if the
cause was a rapid change in the stream structure at the start of the
recording.   I suspect the 'things that work' are just workarounds for
this.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13557#comment:33

HTH

John P