[mythtv] ATSC scan, default channel number

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:35:20 UTC 2021

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 at 17:44, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 7:30 AM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 at 10:32, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> This definitely should be automatic so there is something really wrong.
>>> The correct behavior is to use the received channel number without
>>> asking and when there is a conflict the suggestion channel number is with a
>>> letter added.
>>> There should also be the option in the dialog for "OK for all"  so that
>>> it is never asked again.
>>> It could be a coincidence but there are also threads in the forum about
>>> ATSC cable scanning not working at all or crashing once the scan is
>>> complete. And that is with v31. I assume you are using master.
>>> At least you still get the correct channel numbers and names, which the
>>> ATSC cable scans do not even do anymore.
>>> What makes this a puzzle is that I have not changed anything significant
>>> in the scanning code for a long time now.
>>> On the other hand, maybe people do not do channel scans that often....
>>> The scanning does work correctly with DVB-T2/C/S2 as you might have
>>> guessed.
>>> I will have a look at the code this weekend and possibly try to do a
>>> simple ATSC scan with a captured ATSC transport stream. Have done that in
>>> the past so I should be able to do that again....
>>> In the meantime, if you have an idea what is wrong be welcome to explore
>>> and fix it!
>>>
>>> Hi John,
>>
>> Can you please send me a complete backup of your database after you have
>> done one or more scans?
>> Rationale:
>> In master the "Scan type"  "Import Existing Scan" allows playing back
>> again a scan previously done. I expect the bug to be in the channel
>> importer where the options such as "Complete scan data required" etc are
>> processed and this can be replayed from an existing scan. Which then
>> hopefully enables me to debug the channel numbering code with your ATSC
>> scan.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Klaas.
>>

> Yes, I can do that. I will replicate what I did when I saw the problem,
> which was to do a scan on an initial setup, i.e. brand new database.
>

> Hi John,

I've resurrected the capability to scan from a single transport stream,
according to your description in
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/8828cc5e4698f72e25fcfc31782c42fda5079717#diff-09ba904030e3795f57e6332cba578167
"Add the ability to scan for the programs in a MPTS stream from an IPTV
source."
I needed a small fix in channelscan_sm.cpp to make this work but that is
another story.
The good news is that I should now be able to reproduce and debug the
channel importer issue.

Question: can you send me a full MPTS that does not scan correctly?

Thanks,
Klaas.