[mythtv] Picture in Picture broken

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 14:40:08 UTC 2020

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 14:26, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As requested, a backtrace when locked and also a "-v playback"  from a previous run two minutes before with the same video file.
>>> This is on the development machine with i7-7700 intel-only hardware, so no Nvidia. Issue is exactly the same.

Thanks Klaas - that should be fixed.

>> On the third machine, my living room backend  (i5-650 intel-only so no Nvidia) the PIP  has sometimes issues (but not always).
>> Attached is a "-v playback" log made with the following sequence:

The problem here is it gets into a bit of a vicious circle - mostly
performance related.

The main player is using software decode for 1080i H264, with Yadif
CPU deinterlacer at double rate and your are using opengl rather than
opengl-yv12 for rendering. So there is a lot of cpu load.

Add a PiP player and it loses sync/can't keep up, frames are skipped,
the deinterlacer has to be deleted and recreated. Repeat. Repeat...

I would try one or more of:-

- use VAAPI decoding (from memory, Ironlake does not have VAAPI
deinterlacing, so you would need to use OpenGL for deinterlacing)
- switch to the medium quality CPU deinterlacer (much lower load and
it does not have to be recreated when frames are dropped)
- try deinterlacing in the shader/opengl.
- switch to OpenGL-YV12 renderer.

Regards
Mark