[mythtv] Picture in Picture broken

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:53:42 UTC 2020

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 18:13, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:
> About the PiPs. Tested this right now with the latest master. Huge improvement! I can now have live TV in the main window and four PiPs from recordings and it all plays OK. Exchanging PiP and main window does stilll lock, both with focus on the PiP and focus on the main screen.

Seems to be intermittent - I've only  had it lock up once since I
thought I'd fixed it - though may be more livetv related.

> When I start with playing a recording in the main window and then start a PiP with live TV then this works OK but the screen is frozen for a few seconds when the live TV is starting up. After it has started to move again playback of the recording is still stuttering for maybe two seconds until it is smooth again.

Unfortunately this is expected behaviour. The UI thread blocks until
the new player is setup - which will then throw out av sync for the
main player as well.

> About the DVB radio, recordings work fine but "Live TV" radio is not, unless you have fixed it recently. See ticket #13156. Will test that later.

I tested with live tv this morning before I replied and it seemed to
be working OK.

> The problem with the "Live TV" radio is that the system creates dummy video frames so that it can be treated as regular TV but it then has huge problems with synchronization between the audio and the dummy video. This is the code that I spent more time on that I want to admit before bailing out....

Yep - I hope to get rid of that at some point. The underlying problem
is that the player was originally written with video first and
foremost - audio only (and MHEG only) isn't well catered for.

regards
Mark