[mythtv] Jumpy video playback

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 11:05:01 UTC 2020

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 10:57, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Not seeing any other issues with 4.35.21 driver, my usage is very basic
> only LiveTV/Recordings.

Thanks Mike - looks like the problem is only VP9 material - perhaps
related to the new AV sync code.

> On my main system, distortions with forward and backwards skips happen
> for HD (H.264) with display set to 3840x2160 at 50Hz or 1920x1080 at 50Hz
> using NVDEC NVIDIA 435.21 and  NVIDIA 430.50 drivers.
>
> I also tried it on my laptop, seeing forward and backwards skip
> distortions, display 1920x1080 @60Hz with UK HD (H.264) playback using NVDEC
>
> GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2
>
> 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.50 and 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21 drivers
>
> Using VDPAU High Quality, no distortions.

I'm fairly sure this is the same issue that John P reported a while
back. From memory I confirmed the same issue exists in other players
(not all FFmpeg based) - which seemed to indicate it is a cuda/nvdec
internal issue. I certainly see no errors reported in the logs.

Regards
Mark