[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] [MythTV/mythtv] 704f5e: android: Fix problem with frontend setup

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 14:00:43 UTC 2020

On 1/27/20 1:47 AM, Klaas de Waal wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 01:31, Peter Bennett <noreply at github.com
> <mailto:noreply at github.com>> wrote:
>
>       Branch: refs/heads/master
>       Home: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv
>       Commit: 704f5ef3660792b80709d17ebe24724326de3b4a
>     https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/704f5ef3660792b80709d17ebe24724326de3b4a
>       Author: Peter Bennett <pbennett at mythtv.org
>     <mailto:pbennett at mythtv.org>>
>       Date:   2020-01-26 (Sun, 26 Jan 2020)
>
>       Changed paths:
>         M mythtv/libs/libmyth/standardsettings.cpp
>         M mythtv/libs/libmythui/mythdialogbox.cpp
>
>       Log Message:
>       -----------
>       android: Fix problem with frontend setup
>
>     using auto for a dynamic cast was not working. Changed to
>     appropriate object type.
>
> Can this be an issue in more places in the code?
>
> Klaas.

Hi Klaas

I think it could be. This came up with Mark Spieth's packaging change
to  use a new compiler. I will look through the code to see if there are
many uses of "auto" and whether they are working on android. I am not
very familiar with "auto" and its usage, but in this case it seemed
unnecessary because you could see the type right there in the code.
Other places where they assign auto to the result of a complicated
expression may be more difficult to fix if they are not working. What
was particularly confusing was that the code seemed to use "auto" and
"auto *" interchangeably when creating a pointer. This was working in
linux and the old compiler but not the new compiler.

Peter