[mythtv] nVidia screen switching

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 11:09:00 UTC 2020

On 01/01/2020 12:21, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 14:54, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For many years nVidia has seen my displays as a single X-screen 0 having
>> two adjacent sections; a 60 Hz vga monitor and a 50 Hz hdmi TV.  I have
>> steered the picture from the command line by running either
>> 'mythfrontend', which gives a windowed 1024x576+64+64 display on the
>> monitor, or 'mythfrontend -nw --geometry 1920x1080+1680+0' which puts it
>> on the TV.  It works well and the ALSA:default virtual audio device can
>> give sound from either or both sets sets of speakers.
>>
>> But although it all works, current master seems slightly confused by
>> this arrangement, and on startup in either mode the 'Display: available
>> modes' section shows xrandr values that relate to the monitor, not the
>> TV.  Should I just be quiet about it :-) ?
>
> John
>
> The new display handling code is still a work in progress - a few
> issues need ironing out.
>
> If you drop the command line geometry override and select the correct
> screen in "Setup->Appearance->Theme/Screen Settings->Display on
> Screen" - it should work as expected. Note however you may need to
> exit and restart.
>
> Regards
> Mark

Hi Mark:  Thanks for that.  I don't know how far down the line you are
at present, but my most recent builds have had 'Appearance' problems.
I'm currently at 27188d.  I can send more details if you like.

The fonts are too wide, so text is often incomplete

Aspect ratio:  the picture is half-height, centred.  The only likely
option, 'Virtual monitor aspect ratio', seems to be doing nothing on
either screen.  Default settings are still as above.  The 'Display on
screen' option has not been effective.

... and the NVDEC detection on first startup is still unreliable.  It
seems to need shaking in.

HTH, HNY etc.

John.