[mythtv] wanted: developers that use mythfilldatabase

Hans Dingemans jpldingemans at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 10:47:29 UTC 2020

> On 08/02/2020 23:34, Hans Dingemans wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First of all big thanks to all of you for this great software; I have
> > been using Mythtv for years, very happy with it!!! However, as an
> > enthusiastic open-source developer I always seek possibilities to
> > improve and to contribute.
> >
> > Apart from my production server I now am experimenting with frontend +
> > backend on a Raspberry Pi, trying to get it so far that it can play
> > HLS streams from websites like https://watchnewslive.tv .
> > A problem I encountered is that when trying to load the EPG for all
> > those stations, mythfilldatabase uses too much memory and freezes up
> > the (4Gb-version of the) Pi.
> > Turns out that the entire xml-file is kept in memory multiple times. I
> > made a patch which reduces memory usage 6 times.
> >
> > The nice thing about these offline software is you can test it easily;
> > I just backup my sql database, load a test xml file with "production"
> > mythfilldatabase, dump the database, restore it to its old version,
> > reload the same xml file with my patched mythfilldatabase, dump it
> > again, and do a compare against the dumps.
> >
> > To make sure all the different xmltv-dialects out there are working, I
> > am looking for test xml-files from allover the world; the more
> > diverse, the better.
> > Please send them to my gmail address, if it is too large, send me a pm
> > so we can see how to transfer.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Hans.
>

> I did some testing on a Pi4 (4GB) using external xmltv data from
> Schedules Direct tvgrab_zz_sdjson a while ago see
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3232&sid=8706e6ce203ad5b3a6d95c291add157c#p15702
>

> As with any other mythbackend with 4 GB or even 8 GB of RAM, the
> mythfilldatabase option of --no-allatonce  dramatically reduced memory
> usage when there are lots of channels, e.g. Astra 28E2 satellite.
>

> Mike

What commandline are you using tot start mythfilldatabase?

I use the --xmlfile parameter, and then the --no-allatonce parameter is
totally ignored (without reporting anything).

But even when you are using that parameter, all EPG info is kept in RAM
multiple times until mythfilldatabase exits, which is totally unnecessary...