[mythtv] wanted: developers that use mythfilldatabase

Hans Dingemans jpldingemans at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 23:34:12 UTC 2020

Hi all,

First of all big thanks to all of you for this great software; I have been
using Mythtv for years, very happy with it!!! However, as an enthusiastic
open-source developer I always seek possibilities to improve and to
contribute.

Apart from my production server I now am experimenting with frontend +
backend on a Raspberry Pi, trying to get it so far that it can play HLS
streams from websites like https://watchnewslive.tv .
A problem I encountered is that when trying to load the EPG for all those
stations, mythfilldatabase uses too much memory and freezes up the
(4Gb-version of the) Pi.
Turns out that the entire xml-file is kept in memory multiple times. I made
a patch which reduces memory usage 6 times.

The nice thing about these offline software is you can test it easily; I
just backup my sql database, load a test xml file with "production"
mythfilldatabase, dump the database, restore it to its old version, reload
the same xml file with my patched mythfilldatabase, dump it again, and do a
compare against the dumps.

To make sure all the different xmltv-dialects out there are working, I am
looking for test xml-files from allover the world; the more diverse, the
better.
Please send them to my gmail address, if it is too large, send me a pm so
we can see how to transfer.

Thank you!

Hans.